Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Random running thoughts

Running gives me a lot of time to think.

I usually tell people that running quiets my mind (much like knitting) but to be honest...I still think a lot while running.

Most often it goes something like this:

-Oh man this feels good. Feel how good my legs feel!
-Think about something that happened that day
-I need to slow down.
-Oh gosh...I can't breathe!
-Just keep running Sprinkles. Don't be a wuss.
-I swear to you I am dying!
-Think about something else - You got this.
-Deep thought.
-I'm dying! Why do I do this?!

And so on and so forth.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People often say that running is cheaper than therapy. Is that true? Let's look at some numbers.

Therapy costs anywhere from around $40 - $60 a session.

Running so far for me:

New shoes: $120
New running gear: about $50
Ollie the wonder foam roller: $40
Running socks: $10
Tom Tom Runner watch: $167 (although mine was a gift)
Compression socks: $15 (also a gift)
Runner's world mag subscription: $10
Gym membership cuz it's too cold/dark to run outside: $34 a month
Sign up costs for races: Anywhere from $25 - $200

Someone do the math. Is it really cheaper than therapy?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exciting news on the "Getting others to drink the running kool-aid" front! My sister "Kiddo" has started the C25K program. She's on her second week and has already signed us up for a fun run! I can't wait to run the Neon Vibe 5K with her in March!

According to her Facebook page: "So, a week into my c25k program and I'm already at the point where I can't wait till my next run."

Hooray! Great job kiddo! I'm hella proud of you. :)


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got a some great running pressies for Xmas that I still haven't talked about!

First of all...I'd like to introduce Tom Swifty!

Waldo's a shameless photobomber
 
Tom Swifty is the Pink Tom Tom Runner watch that my parents got me for Xmas. I LOVE IT! It tracks my runs via GPS or if I'm at the gym it uses my natural running rhythm to track how far I've run. And it's surprisingly pretty accurate! 
 
I'm able to upload the information easily into my runkeeper account and also into Tom Tom's own sports/running website. From there I can see my splits and all sorts of fun stuff.
 
There are a lot of different training features I can use and different functions that I haven't tried out yet. It will let me pick a distance and then tell me how close I am to the goal.
 
All in all...it's pretty sweet. I love it.
 
I also got these awesome compression socks from the Kiddo.
 
I love the color!
 
I wore them after my last race to see if they helped my legs not be so sore. I like to think they helped. Plus I felt pretty awesome wearing them so that's always a plus! 

1 comment:

  1. Yay for your sister! That's awesome. And I have the same running thoughts. "I'm dying" comes up pretty regularly :)

    ReplyDelete