Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Turkey Trottin!

It started on Tuesday night when I went to go pick up my bib. It was a cold, dark, rainy night and it took me an hour to drive not even 20 miles. Once I got there it was really easy to pick up my bib...it took 5 mins. Then I almost got hit by a car as I was crossing the parking lot. Really? How do you miss a person with a huge, bright umbrella?! I gave them a few choice words. My heart was beating a little fast after that.

It has my name on it!!!

After a week and a half of not running very much...I was slightly worried about running an 8k. For those of us not so great at math...that's right about 5 miles. That's the furthest I've ever run.

I woke up the morning of and ate some peanut butter crackers. I needed something in my stomach to keep it settled. I also drank a Gatorade and ate some energy chews. Yum!

RB (RatBastard) drove me to the race. He had made me a sign and was planning on hanging out to watch me run. I was excited to have someone there to cheer me on!

 
Rockin and ready to run!
 
I had a ton of layers on. I had a base pair of tights, running pants, 3 technical tops, wool hat, fingerless gloves, and a neck warmer. Plus I bought new socks that sat higher on my ankles.
 
There were just over 3000 people there! I saw so many people dressed up! I saw a girl dressed as a pie, dozens of turkeys, a pilgrim and Native American running together...lots of fun costumes!
 
The run itself wasn't too bad. It was very hilly but I just ran when I could and walked when I had to. I did have to stop in the middle of the race and pull off one of my layers. I took water at the first stop but not at the next two stops.
 
I was so excited as we ran down Ridge Rd and got closer to the finish line. I knew RB would be waiting for me and I couldn't wait to see what his sign said! As I rounded the corner back into the parking lot...I heard a group of people cheering my name! It was my running friends from the Hibernian Harriers run club! Awesome! I pointed at them and cheered and kept on running. Straight ahead was RB! Holding a sign that said "Lady Na-Na, Run like crazy for the turkey and gravy!" I blew him a kiss and booked it to the finish line!
 
Now for the results!
 
In my age group I came in 119th out of 158. Overall I came in 1549 out of 1940. Not too bad! Not the best but not the worst!
 
My gun time was 57:45 and my chip time was 56:05.
 
Splits:
 
Mile 1 = 11:38mm
Mile 2 = 10:12mm
Mile 3 = 9:42mm
Mile 4 = 11:17mm
Mile 5 = 11:23mm

Obviously, I hit my best stride in Mile 3. But overall...I'll take an 11 min mile! After the race I grabbed a banana and a cup of water and made a very nice stranger take our picture. Please excuse how crappy I look...I just ran 5 miles!

 
He's pretty good looking...no?

2 comments:

  1. Yay Sprinkles!!! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention that on our way home, I made RB do a U-turn when I realized DD was open and I could get a DONUT!!!

    ReplyDelete